474 W US Hwy 72

Collierville, TN 38017 US

(901) 853-8519

Open mobile navigation

Toxic Ingestion

Toxic ingestion is a medical issue that requires urgent pet care. At Collierville Animal Clinic, we understand that the wellness of your pet is of utmost importance. Whether your pet swallows a toxic substance or consumes an indigestible material, if you live near Collierville we encourage you to notify our veterinary care team right away.


Toxic Ingestion Requires Urgent Care


Bite-sized raisins may seem like a perfect treat for your pet. But once ingested, these hazardous substances trigger a flurry of reactions. Common side effects of raisin poisoning are anorexia, diarrhea, dehydration, and tremors. In the worst-case scenario, raisins can elevate the enzyme levels in the kidneys causing death within 72 hours.

Rat Baits

Rat baits are packaged to appear tasty to the rodent. But some pets find the baits enticing and end up ingesting them. When ingested, rat poison can trigger muscle tremors, hyperexcitability, depression, and hindlimb hyperreflexia.

Human Pharmaceuticals

Over-the-counter human pharmaceuticals can have a disabling effect on a pet’s vital organs such as the liver and the kidneys. This is because pets have a much lower weight than humans thus the medicine will be too strong to break down.

House Plants

Some indoor plants can have debilitating effects if ingested by your pet. Anthraquinone glycosides found in Aloe vera can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The Devil’s Ivy causes severe swelling, foaming, and vomiting.


Several varieties of mushrooms have toxic effects for pets. Mushrooms can trigger life-threatening reactions in pets. Common reactions include stomach upset, liver failure, hallucinations, and disorientation.

Toxic Toads

Toad poisoning is a common emergency that requires immediate medical attention. When exposed to a threat, some toad species will release toxic substances that once ingested into the bloodstream; can alter the functioning of your pet’s blood vessels, heart, and nervous system.

What to Do If You Suspect Toxic Ingestion

If you suspect that your pet has ingested anything harmful, contact your local veterinarian right away. Collect samples of the material that your pet may have ingested or vomit samples as these will help our team with the diagnosis and treatment. Avoid giving the pet any foods or liquids as they may worsen the situation and make it harder for the vet to diagnose the cause of the poisoning. If you bring the pet to our treatment center, make sure that your pet is kept comfortable and warm.

Diagnosing and Treating Pet Poisoning

When you suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic it’s important to remain calm but take action immediately. If you live in Collierville, Germantown, Piperton, or the surrounding area, call Collierville Animal Clinic at (901) 853-8519. Our veterinarians can answer any questions and talk you through the next steps that are needed to help your pet.

New patients receive a free wellness exam.

Clinic/Surgery: 901-853-8519
Pet Resort: 901-854-1500

Visit our online pharmacy to conveniently shop for your pet!

See your pet on Petly – As your pet's personal health page, Petly is a special place for you and your pet. You're just one click away! – GO TO PETLY

Office Hours


7:30 am-5:30 pm


7:30 am-5:30 pm


7:30 am-5:30 pm


7:30 am-5:30 pm


7:30 am-5:30 pm


8:00 am-12:00 pm



*Open Every Other Saturday
Click here to view our Saturday calendar



Read What Our Clients Say

  • "All staff caring and competent. We are thrilled with the care our dog gets here."
    Catherine, Collierville, TN

Featured Articles

Read about interesting topics

Newsletter Signup